If you regularly use your oven, you probably know the struggle of cleaning it. Because our ovens consist of many parts that tend to become greasy over time, it is always helpful to know a solution that can ease up the oven cleaning routine. If you are a happy owner of a self-cleaning oven, the oven racks still require old-fashioned cleaning, as they might get damaged from the self-cleaning functionality.
There are many cleaning products that you can easily find in a local store. However, most of them are filled with dangerous chemicals that release harmful fumes. So, is there any way to clean oven racks naturally? Of course, there is!
So, if you are someone who:
- Avoids using chemicals in their house because of allergies and health problems;
- Wants to clean their oven racks using only natural products;
- Doesn’t have specific oven cleaning products at the moment.
Then this article is just for you! Here, you will read all about how to clean oven racks naturally by using products such as baking soda, white vinegar and more!
How to clean oven racks naturally with baking soda and vinegar
Use the following items:
- Baking soda – if you don’t have any, you can use borax;
- Distilled white vinegar;
- A scrub pad, or an old toothbrush if you don’t have a pad;
- An old towel.
Here is how to clean oven racks using natural white vinegar and baking soda:
- Place the old towel in a dry tub or a big basin, if you don’t have one.
- Put the racks inside and generously pour the white vinegar on them.
- Add the baking soda and wait for around 10-15 minutes.
- The two ingredients should start foaming. When that is complete, fill the tub or basin with hot water so that it covers the racks completely, and let them soak overnight.
- The day after, scrub the racks with the scrub pad or with a toothbrush to remove any grime that is still stuck.
- If there is any stubborn dirt left, you can add kosher salt to the water. The mixture will turn it into an abrasive cleaner.
- When you are satisfied with the results, just rinse with water and let the racks air dry.
How to clean oven racks in the bathtub with aluminium foil
That’s one of the best ways to clean oven racks, and it’s pretty straightforward.
- Wrap the oven racks in aluminium foil and place them in a bathtub filled with hot water.
- Then add two dishwasher tablets to the water and let them react with the foil for a few hours (the more, the better) and drain the tub.
- After removing the foil, the grease and burnt-on food should be very easy to wipe away.
Cleaning oven racks in the dishwasher
Cleaning your oven racks in the dishwasher is the most hassle-free way to remove any stubborn and greasy residues. Oven racks are dishwasher safe so if you have enough space in your appliance, then give it a try. However, before putting oven racks in the dishwasher, make sure to remove burnt-on food particles.
Why avoid Self-cleaning feature for cleaning oven racks?
You might think there is no point in cleaning oven racks by hand if your appliance has a self-cleaning feature. However, the high temperature of this cycle can be damaging to the internal components of the cooking appliance. It would also likely destroy the finish of any chrome or stainless steel racks. This is why we recommend you clean this important part of your oven by hand and with natural products. It will help keep your oven in good working order, and there will be no dangerous fumes escaping and polluting the air.
Hire a professional oven cleaner
Even though these methods can be quite easy, they can still take a lot of time, especially if you have to clean the whole oven and not just the racks. Save yourself the trouble and call Shining Oven today to book a professional oven cleaning technician. They use a highly effective dip tank method that includes disassembling the whole oven and cleaning the parts separately. After that, the expert will put your oven back together and you will get to enjoy your shiny clean cooker again. Better food and more time with the people that really matter! Book your oven technician today!